Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A gift to your "future" self

Last night I decided to empty the dishwasher before I went to bed. I was headed up and noticed that little green light, and I contemplated leaving it til morning, but then I thought that my 5 AM self might really appreciate my 10 PM self getting it done now.

My 5 AM self greatly appreciated the gift! Now all I had to do was make coffee and have a leisurely 45 min. til I went out to the gym.

I like to think of my workouts and right diet choices as a gift to my future self. Squat now and my 80 year old self will recieve the gift of not getting stuck on the toilet, my 80 year old self will be active and enjoying life. Sweat now and my 70 year old self won't get short of breath putting away the groceries and playing with her grandchildren. Make the right nutritional decisions now and my 60 year old self won't have to take insulin. I'm giving the gift of a strong, active and productive future to myself. Hmmm. I still need to do something about not giving my future self melanoma, but one thing at a time, right?

The gifts don't even have to be that long term. Do your workout now, and you can accept a dinner invitation later. Make the right diet choices at breakfast and lunch and you give yourself the gift of letting loose a little at that party tonight. Skip the fast food tonight and wake up with a flat comfortable belly. Think about your "8 hours from now self" once in awhile! You will end up being grateful to your present self!

It may sound selfish (or maybe it's a more effective way to look at it, we all are a bit selfish if we're honest), but give some gifts to yourself! You deserve it!

Again! Kudos to you dedicated souls who are showing up for your workouts in this heat!
Jason and Katie are visiting us this week! They are regulars at CrossFit Portsmouth in New Hampshire. Love visitors! Tim has been trying to impress them with his mad hunting skills and demonstrating that he can catch chipmunks and rabbits!

1 comment:

Emily W said...

BABY RABBITS?

REALLY??!?!?!