Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My intention

When I set out on this journey to open a gym it was never my intention to grow a big business or make loads of money. I had discovered that life was better when I was stronger and I wanted to share it, and I wanted, and continue to want to learn more. I've been doing this for 5 years now and I have had the pleasure of sharing with a lot of people, and learning a lot.

I've made mistakes, I'm still learning, and I've also coached quite a few people to a healthier, stronger lifestyle.
I've learned to start people slowly, to fix one thing at a time, and to constantly and consistently work on strength and correct movement patterns.
I've seen over and over again that consistency is king in terms of progress. It reigns over raw strength, programming, coordination, coachability, talent, fate and the sun and the moon and the stars. Consistency isn't "sexy" or exciting, it is day to day drudgery, doing the same thing, developing a habit, and it takes grit and determination. It is also very simple, and it is absolutely key to success.

When a member leaves us to move, or because life circumstances change, but still continues to train, my intentions are realized and it makes me joyful.

Speaking of circumstances, I must change the arrangements for the "Holiday workout". I have a learning opportunity in Philadelphia that weekend as well as wanting to spend some more time with my parents before they head south for the winter. So instead of the 18th, we will be doing the Holiday workout on Friday Dec. 23rd and Saturday Dec. 24 during regular gym hours. We will be having cocktails after the last workout on Friday! There is also a rumor that Andrew Tisser might be around that weekend!

Because Christmas and New Years are on Sundays this year, gym hours will be normal throughout the holiday weeks. Matt is going to be staffing the gym on Saturdays, although I might be seen around, maybe lifting some heavy things and putting them down.

No comments: