Monday, November 14, 2011

Sore in new places


Sue's favorite! Burpees!
For the last about a year I have pretty much been training the squat, deadlift and bench. Yes, I do some chin ups, some front or overhead squats, some presses, and the occasional KB, running jumping, dragging thing. I've even done some weighted carries, and certainly a lot of rowing, but my training has been pretty vanilla. I've had some hard workouts, but I rarely experience severe delayed onset muscle soreness(DOMS) because I haven't really varied my movements much.
I met a new friend this weekend and he invited me to carry one of his rocks about 40-50 ft. This rock was awkward, and he said it weighed 120#. I also did a few other weighted carries that day, such as 80# bags of concrete, and I spent what seemed like an eternity trying to lift and flip over a very big log. This rock bruised my forearms and sternum and I had to hold it so tight I could hardly breath. The last 15 ft. my legs were shaking.
About 24 hours later....
I am sore in places I didn't even know I had. Wow! Of course because I'm crazy like that, I immediately went looking for some big awkward rocks in the back yard (we have lots of them).
Be very afraid when you walk into the barn and see a bunch of rocks sitting on the bench next to the kettle bells ;)
Although I have never run across a clear, concise scientific explanation of DOMS, we all know it happens! It usually happens when you do either a max effort, or a lot of reps of a movement or you do a movement that you are not used to. If you haven't done a lunge in 6 months, 30 or 40 of those are going to give you a sore bottom! Stretching, adequate hydration, nutrition and sleep do seem to minimize it's effects. Unless it is severe, DOMS is not a reason to skip a workout. Often you will feel better after the workout. If it is severe, ie. you have trouble brushing your teeth, take a day or two off, stretch a lot, get extra sleep, get plenty of fluids and take some hot baths.

No comments: