Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Intensity


CrossFit in as few words as possible to describe it is...."constantly varied functional movements executed at high intensity"

Jessica and I were working out this morning (very intensely I might add) and were talking about this concept of intensity. I also read a post on the crossfit.com page today speaking of the "as you can" aspect of crossfit workouts. As many "as you can" , as fast "as you can", as heavy "as you can". I teach exercise classes at a regular gym and everytime I walk in there I see people on treadmills watching television. I think that if your exercise does not require your full attention, you are not doing it at the proper intensity. If your exercise is so boring that you need to watch TV you are doing the wrong exercise.

To get the full benefit of the time you are spending on exercise it needs to be done intensely, requiring your full attention, and as fast, heavy, and as many "as you can". Only then will you realize the gains in overall fitness that you are seeking. Anything worth having is hard work to get. It requires commitment, concentration, trying harder than you ever have before, dripping with sweat and breathing hard. At crossfit it is also fun! Intensity.

No comments: